Round One: Wahawks Defeat Ames in Sub-State Game

Ali Parkhurst

Senior Halli Poock shoots a three point basket in the third quarter of the game as the student section cheers her on in support.

Ali Parkhurst, Reporter

On Saturday Feb. 18, the Wahawks hosted the Ames Little Cyclones in the first sub-state game of the season. The Wahawks will continue their road to the state basketball season after defeating the 7-15 school.

With an immediate lead, the starting lineup worked together to score 18 points for the Wahawks in the first quarter of the game. The Wahawks held this lead for the entire quarter, moving to the second quarter with a score of 18-2.

Seniors Sahara Williams and Halli Poock were the point carriers for the Wahawks with 20 points each despite Ames’ defense. The Wahawks held their lead throughout the entire game.

In the second quarter, the Wahawks put up a strong defense, allowing only 8 points from Ames. As their defense worked hard, the offense worked harder. With 21 more points coming from the Wahawks the girls entered half time with a 39-10 score. 

Continuing on with a strong game, West high gained 26 more points in the second half of the game, Ames earning only four more points resulting in a 65 – 14 finish for the game. 

“We are happy for our athletes as they have worked hard to become very good players,” says Head Coach Anthony Pappas after the girls bring home their 21st win of the season. 

For a good portion of the second half of the game, many of the starting players sat out, allowing for other athletes to get playing time. Sophomore Sydnie Wass was a part of this group. “It feels great knowing that we are now only one step away from making it to state again,” she says. This is Wass’ second year with the basketball team, she starts JV and dresses varsity where she often gets playing time during games like these where the Wahawks gain a strong lead against the opposing team.

Wass states that the goal of her team is not making it to state, but to go all the way. She has high confidence in her team and coaches and is excited to get redemption from last years second place finish. “I am so thankful that I was given the opportunity to play with these girls and be around them. Not many people get the chance to be on a team like this and I feel so privileged to be a part of it,” she says.

Within the Wahawk victory was a personal victory for Poock who beat a record for the most career points in Wahawk history, Poock also earned her 2000th career point.