Categories:

Welcoming New West High Teachers

This year West will be welcoming six new teachers to the staff!
Welcoming New West High Teachers
Glory Meyer
Glory Meyer

Q: What’s your name and what do you teach? 

A: My name is Glory Meyer and I teach English 10 and American literature/Composition.

Q: What made you choose to pursue teaching?

A: I have always loved being somebody that people can depend on and I love helping people. Being raised by an English teacher only helped narrow my ideal career choice.

Q: How long have you been a teacher?

A: This is my 3rd year of teaching!

Q: What made you choose to work with high school students?

A: I enjoy working with and assisting students on the cusp of young adulthood and having the opportunity to watch them grow, mature, and form those core values and beliefs that make them who they are.

Q: What’s your favorite way to relax after a long day?

A: I love to hang out with family and friends, read a good book, or watch a great movie.

Glory Meyer (Glory Meyer)
Lucas Phillips
Lucas Phillips

A: My name is Lucas Phillips and I teach Health, ELL Health, and Physical Education.

A: I wanted to become a teacher because I wanted to make an impact in students’ lives while also building positive relationships with them. I want to help students pursue a healthy lifestyle which is why I chose to be a PE and Health teacher. I feel like I can impact students’ lives by educating them about all the different types of sports there are, especially games that can be played their entire life such as golf, disc golf, pickleball, etc.

Q: How long have you been a teacher?

A: This is my 5th year as a teacher.

A: I chose to work with high school students because I feel like I can make a large positive impact on their lives. It is enjoyable to get to know students in high school and encourage/teach them to become responsible young adults. It is also fun to see students’ passions and encourage them to pursue their goals!

Q: If you could switch careers for a day, what would you do?

A: If I could switch careers for a day, I would like to be a National Geographic Photographer and take photographs of animals & plants in various ecosystems.

Lucas Phillips (Aven Winberg)
Savannah Roquet
Savannah Roquet

A: My name is Savannah Roquet and I teach Literacy

A: I have always wanted to be a teacher, playing pretend school as a child was always my favorite thing to do. My mom has been a teacher for 12 years, so I was always exposed to it around her as well. The relationships I build are invaluable.

Q: How long have you been a teacher?

A: This is my first year as a Teacher.

A: There is no significant reason as to why I chose high school. It was my favorite placement throughout student teaching, it felt easier to build connections with students. I have a toddler at home, so getting to work with older students is also refreshing. I also felt a sense of belonging at West during my placement.

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

A: If I could go anywhere in the world, I would go to Greece.

Savannah Roquet (Aven Winberg)
Taylor Heuthorst
Taylor Heuthorst

A: My name is Ms. Heuthorst, and I teach English 10 and Pre-IB/Advanced English 10.

A: I chose to pursue teaching because I love learning and working with others. When I didn’t know what to do at the start of my university career, I sampled classes in different fields. Teaching made the most sense.

Q: How long have you been a teacher?

A: This is my first year as a teacher. I graduated from Iowa State University in May 2024 after student teaching in Iowa at Waverly-Shell Rock High School and abroad in Norway.

A: I wanted to work with high school students because they are at a point where they are exploring their passions. They are truly beginning to evaluate the world and their place in it. They are thinking about the future. It is so wonderful!

Q: What are the top three items on your bucket list?

A: Great question! In no particular order, I would have to say become fluent in another language,  hike the mountains in the Alps, and read all the books on my “To Be Read” list.

Taylor Heuthorst (Aven Winberg)
Anastasia Muell
Anastasia Muell

A: My name is Anastasia Muell and I teach Geometry.

A: When I was in middle school, I had a teacher who made math more fun than I ever realized it could be. He completely changed the course of my life. I want to be that teacher for others. I also love watching people grow.

Q: How long have you been a teacher?

A: This is my first year teaching!

A: I chose to work with high school students because I worked with them during student teaching and they were so funny and genuine and kind to me. Sometimes, high school is a struggle but I found so much happiness in it that it made me want to stay.

A: If I could switch careers for a day, I’d want to be a professional singer, as long as I could switch back because I could not live without my privacy.

Anastasia Muell (Aven Winberg)
Justin Decker
Justin Decker

A: Justin Decker and Physical Education

A: It took me a long time to decide what I wanted to do. I knew I always wanted to work with kids, but I also fell in love with strength and conditioning and was unsure which route I wanted to take. I ended up finishing college with a few different degrees and fell in love with my first teaching position at East High in Waterloo!

Q: How long have you been a teacher?

A: 10 years!

A: I love working with high school students who are ready to make career/college readiness and life decisions. High school is the one grade level where you personally get to prepare kids for jobs, help them with the college FAFSA process, write letters of recommendation, etc and then follow them throughout life as they achieve their goals! I have had multiple students who I’ve taught/coached from both Waterloo high schools who now teach in the school district, are cops in Waterloo, and serve other important roles in the community!

A: South Beach Miami is my place! If I could have a tour guide and someone go with me, I would love to visit Egypt or ancient Rome!

Justin Decker (Aven Winberg)
View Story Comments
Donate to Wahawk Insider
$0
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Waterloo West High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributors
Kaitlyn Hall
Kaitlyn Hall, Reporter
Kaitlyn Hall is a Junior at West High and this is her first year as a member of Wahawk Insider staff. Outside of school, she can be found playing video games, taking a snooze or getting lost in a good fantasy book.
Aven Winberg
Aven Winberg, Reporter
Aven Winberg is a Junior at West High. This is her first year on the Wahawk Yearbook and Wahawk insider staff. Outside of the newsroom, you can also find Aven reading a book, writing, spending time with friends, or participating in West High’s Cheer team.