Categories:

Keeping the Tradition Alive: Homecoming Float Building

Seniors Izzy Rand and Jayna gomez hyping up the crowd during the parade
Nicole Goodman

As Homecoming (Hoco) week passes, students at West High School finished off their unique Homecoming floats, which they design and build themselves. These floats are a vital part of the Homecoming tradition, representing the dedication and involvement of West High’s students. 

Crafting the floats is a time-consuming process that requires significant effort and commitment over several weeks. Each year, the floats are designed to fit the designated theme, which this year is board games. The floats are judged by teachers, motivating students to pay meticulous attention to every detail in hopes of winning first place.

Year after year, these students demonstrate exceptional craftsmanship, and the floats play a significant role in boosting school spirit during Homecoming Week. The homecoming floats provide a platform for students to display their pride in their school. Not only is this important for the West High students, but it’s also an event for the West High neighborhood and the surrounding community. Children come out every year to watch the floats go by, admiring them. This is important in spreading that Wahawks spirit all around Waterloo. 

In the days leading up to homecoming, students put in substantial effort to bring the floats to life, often starting with repurposed old trailers. Each grade uses their creativity to make their own floats. Every grade even decides to use different themes and costumes. This allows students from different classes, who might not have worked together before, to come together and collaborate on the floats.

“I feel like my all-time favorite float that I have created was my junior year one, which had the theme of Chicago. I think that one will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the first float I ever got to help build. It turned out so much better than I had imagined,” said Senior Reagan Westphal, who has worked on floats for the past 2 years.

Reflecting on their experiences, students like Reagan describe the dedication and hard work that goes into creating the floats, showcasing the effort put in by students every year.

“My favorite memory from participating in the floats is every time when all of my friends were helping out. We would be there late at night, painting, cutting cardboard, and gluing stuff together, sharing so many laughs, thinking we weren’t going to get it done on time,” said Westphal, highlighting how the project contributes to school spirit and fosters bonding among students.

“I have to say, my favorite memory so far has to be painting and making jokes,” said sophomore Phinleigh Buck, who has worked on floats for the past 2 years. This reflects the excitement and journey of creating the homecoming floats.

“This year, I think a lot more people are involved, and since last year, I think our grade as a whole has become a lot more close-knit,” said sophomore June Bertram, who has been working on the floats for the past two years.

These “behind the scenes” insights will hopefully encourage you to take a closer look at the construction of the homecoming parade floats and understand the true meaning and impact they have on school spirit and the students who put so much effort into them. These floats should inspire all Wahawks to take their Wahawk spirit to the next level. 

Donate to Wahawk Insider
$0
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Waterloo West High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributors
Mackenzie Johnson
Mackenzie Johnson, Reporter
(she/her) Mackenzie Johnson is a sophomore at West High and this is her first year as part of the Insider staff. Outside of Wahawk Insider, she can be found spending time with friends, hiking, and working out at the gym. She loves reading, her cat, and listening to music.
Zarifa Latic
Zarifa Latic, Staff
Zarifa Latic is a senior at West High and this is her first year on the Wahawk Yearbook staff. She enjoys creating art, listening to music, watching movies like Whiplash and Little Miss Sunshine, and shopping. She also works at a daycare and enjoys spending time with friends and family. 
Nasjai Hester
Nasjai Hester, Staff
Nasjai Hester a Senior at West high school. She enjoys taking scenery pictures and coffee. Outside of school, she works at Tropical smoothie and likes going to the gym. She looks forward to making many enjoyable memories in her last year here while being on yearbook, and aspires to be a good asset to the team.
Kaitlyn Hall
Kaitlyn Hall, Reporter
Kaitlyn Hall is a Junior at West High and this is her first year as a member of Wahawk Insider staff. Outside of school, she can be found playing video games, taking a snooze or getting lost in a good fantasy book.