The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Poll

What type of content would you like to see from the Wahawk Insider?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

An open letter to those who are struggling with suicidal thoughts.

You are not alone, you are not broken. You are hurting, and that’s okay.
Kaylynn Crawford
An open letter for those who are struggling with suicidal thoughts. There is help out there for you. If you are experiencing a crisis, call 988, the suicide prevention hotline.

Dear reader, 

I hope this letter finds you in a moment of peace, even if it’s just a small glimmer among the darkness that surrounds you. I am writing to you with a heart full of nothing but empathy, understanding and a genuine desire to offer support if you are grappling with the heavy burden of suicidal thoughts.

First and foremost, I want you to know that your pain is valid. Your struggles are real, and I know the immense strength it takes to confront these overwhelming emotions. In this letter, my intention is not to offer quick fixes or simple solutions, because it’s a lot harder than it sounds and I know that, but rather to extend a hand of compassion, understanding and hope.

Life can be a taxing journey, filled with twists and turns, peaks and valleys. At times, the weight of our challenges can become almost unbearable. The darkness can feel overwhelming, leaving us trapped in a relentless cycle of despair

It’s crucial to remember that even in the darkest moments, there is the potential for light.

It’s okay not to be okay, and reaching out for help is a sign of immense courage. There are people who care about you, even if it doesn’t feel that way right now. It’s important to understand that the thoughts and feelings you’re experiencing are temporary and with the right support, things can change.

Here are a few things I want you to consider:

Reach out to someone: Share your feelings with a trusted friend, family member or mental health professional. Opening up about your struggles can be a powerful step toward healing. You don’t have to face this battle alone.

Professional help is available: Mental health professionals are trained to provide support and guidance. If you’re unsure where to start, consider reaching out to a therapist, counselor or psychiatrist. They can help you navigate your emotions and develop coping strategies.

Hotlines and crisis intervention services: In moments of crisis, there are helplines available to provide immediate support. In the United States, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 988. Don’t hesitate to call when you need someone to talk to.

View this profile on Instagram

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline (@988lifeline) • Instagram photos and videos

Identify coping mechanisms: Explore activities that bring you comfort and joy. This might include hobbies, exercise, mindfulness practices or spending time with loved ones. Engaging in positive activities can help shift your focus and provide a sense of purpose.

Create a safety plan: Work with a mental health professional or school counselor to develop a safety plan that outlines steps to take during moments of crisis. Having a plan in place can empower you to navigate difficult situations more effectively.

Understand that healing takes time: Recovery is not a linear process, and it’s okay to have setbacks. Be patient with yourself and celebrate small victories along the way. Progress may be slow, but every step forward is a triumph.

Remember, your life has value and your presence in this world matters. You are not defined by your struggles and there is hope for a brighter future. It may seem impossible to imagine right now, but with support and perseverance, you can overcome the challenges you’re facing.

If you ever find yourself in the darkest depths of despair, please reach out to someone you trust or a mental health professional. You are not alone and there are people who care deeply about your well-being.

Suicide is not the only option, it is an irreversible solution for a temporary issue. Hold on. There is hope for you.

You are worth more than you know.

With never ending love and support,

Kaylynn Crawford.