Wahawk Dance Team goes to Nationals

Wahawk+Dance+Team+performing+at+Winter+Kickoff+during+halftime.+

Wahawk Dance Team performing at Winter Kickoff during halftime.

Lily Taber, Reporter

2023 has been full of opportunities for the Waterloo West dance team. This is the first time that the team has been able to make it to nationals since 2004.

The team was able to stepped up to the plate and travel to Nationals in Orlando, Florida, to perform.

The dance team was invited to nationals after performing their dances on Dec. 3 at the Wells Fargo Arena, in Des Moines Iowa for Iowa State Dance Team Association dance competition.

Freshmen Chloe Heiser was gave insight into how she felt, specifically how she and the team felt about being able to make it to nationals for the first time since 2004.”I was absolutely shocked when I found out that our dance team was going to nationals since 2004. Our team was so grateful for this experience we are so thankful for all the people who helped us get there. I am so lucky that I got to experience this with the people I love the most!!,” said Heiser.

Heiser shared how her nationals experience was and how much the team has improved. “A lot of people don’t really take dance seriously and our dance team shows so much talent each and every one of us puts so much effort into improving our skills. In order to give our best performance!,” she said.

Sierra Meeks, senior, described how she felt about the whole team being able to get a full scholarship to attend nationals.

“Receiving this scholarship not only change our lives but the entire history of the west high dance team and its athletics. The west high dance team hadn’t been to a national dance competition since 2004 and I think that being awarded this opportunity for how we represented our school, families, and community on and off the dance floor, spoke volumes about who our coaches have been building us to be and I am forever great full to our coaches and my teammates because of this. Thank you, Coach Miranda, Jensen, and Wahawk Athletics for always believing in us,” says Meeks.