9 new West High teachers
9 new West High teachers
Kaylynn Crawford

New Faces, New Stories

West High welcomes nine new teachers for the 23-24 school year!
Ben Hirdler
Ben Hirdler

Q:Who are you, and what do you teach?

A: My name is Ben Hirdler. I am a School Counselor for the Health academy. I teach lots of things, just not in the typical setting: coping strategies, self-management strategies, and of course, college and career preparation and exploration.

Q:What made you choose to pursue counseling?

A: Throughout high school and college, I had three separate occasions where a friend disclosed to me thoughts of suicide and I remember feeling helpless. In each of those situations, all I wanted to do was help my friend feel safe and protected. While I initially did not go into Counseling, I think back to those times and those people often, and I think those experiences were very formative for me in wanting to be a counselor. I wanted to feel empowered to be able to help anyone in any situation that they were in. I am still working towards that, but I think those experiences and my desire to be an ally are drivers for my work.

Q:How long have you been involved with the school system?

A: Technically, I have been in the school system since I was in kindergarten! I first became a Waterloo employee during my senior year at West High in 2014-2015, when I was a co-op for the business office at West High. The year after my graduation, I stuck around to coach Speech and Theater here and have been doing so for 9 years now.

Q:What do you enjoy most about high school students?
A: High school students are fun, because I think during this time so many students are finding their passions. I love talking to students and hearing about their plans, goals, and aspirations. I also think in high school that students are beginning to fully realize how much they are capable of doing! One of my favorite things about working with high school students is watching them learn and become confident in their abilities, whether it is in math, art, theater, athletics, music, or something else.

Q: What was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you in highschool?

A: Hmmmm. I am not sure if it is embarrassing, but I remember in my 10th grade year (a story Mr. Kadlec loves to tell) in 10th grade English I had JOKINGLY told Mr. Kadlec that I would beat him up. If you look at the differences in our size, you would know that I would not have a chance in a boxing/wrestling match with Mr. Kadlec. In response, Mr. Kadlec had the SRO at the time pull me out of class and make a big show of how I had threatened a teacher. Not sure I was embarrassed at the time, but I was definitely scared and panicked!

Ben Hirdler (Kaylynn Crawford)
Emma Kossley
Emma Kossley

Q:Who are you, and what do you teach?

A:Emma Kossley. English

Q:What made you choose to pursue teaching?
A:I want to change the world. Every day, I can be the bright spot for my students and change their world for the better. This is one of the only jobs where I can directly see the impact I have on others.  Teaching teenagers seems like a crazy choice for a career, but it is my greatest joy. There are never two days that are the same.

A:This is my first year at West!

A:High school students can go from saying the smartest and most profound things and then follow it up with the silliest immature joke that I am not supposed to laugh at… but I always do. I love being able to be real with my students. They are all more than students and I am more than a teacher. We are humans that each have unique stories that intertwine within my classroom.

Q: How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?

A:I wake up before the sun, brew a full pot of ice coffee, put on the most fashionable teacher outfit ever, then head out before 7 am. Am I a morning person? Not at all- that is what the pot of coffee is for!

Emma Kossley (Kaylynn Crawford)
Blake Langenwalter
Blake Langenwalter

Q: Who are you, and what do you teach?

A: My name is Blake Langenwalter and I am a credit recovery teacher.

Q: What made you choose to pursue teaching?

A: When I went to college it was to be a Social Studies teacher. I love history and all of social studies more than I describe. I think it is a vital part of who we are, where we came from, and where we’re going. Beyond that, I chose to be a teacher because I was one of those students who fell through the cracks. I had a lot of trouble in school and the reason I got out of it is because I had some teachers who cared about me. I want to be that same teacher for my students, even if they don’t realize that they need it.

Q: How long have you been involved with the school system?

A: This is my first year.

Q: What do you enjoy most about high school students?

A: They are older and are able to hold conversations, they are also first starting to discover the most important things about themselves. Who they really are and where they want to go in life. 

Q: What was your favorite subject in high school?

A: History.

Blake Langenwalter (Kaylynn Crawford)
Kacee Adams
Kacee Adams

Q: Who are you, and what do you teach?

A: I’m Kacee Adams. I am the building substitute for West!

A: I have always worked with kids/students in some capacity, either as a group home parent, a social worker, or a substitute teacher. Plus it was my major in college

A:10 years

A: They are fun to talk to you. They have such a unique perspective on life. Most high school kids love to connect and talk with staff, and I enjoy getting to know them.

Q: What was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you in high school?

A: Since I am the building substitute I teach 9th – 12th, I used to sub for a 7th – 12th grade school, on my first day of school and on the job I was walking down the stairs and a snake slithered right in front of me. I started screaming as I hated snakes. What made it embarrassing was that nobody saw the snake so I  just looked crazy… especially because it was my first day so no one knew who I was.

Kacee Adams (Kaylynn Crawford)
Lydia Butters
Lydia Butters

Q:Who are you, and what do you teach?

A:My name is Lydia Butters and I teach math. The specific courses I teach are PreCalculus and English Language Pre-Algebra.

A:I enjoy making connections and learning from others by listening to their ideas. Hearing varying perspectives makes life more vibrant. I also enjoy providing knowledge and sharing the experiences I have acquired throughout the years.

A:This is my first year being a math teacher at West High. Last year I had a long-term sub position at Cedar Falls High School.

A:I enjoy all of my students’ personalities and stories they have to share. High school is a time where you are trying to figure yourself out. Students find what activities they like/dislike, they find the type of people they want to associate with, the subjects that appeal to them most, etc. It’s a time of discovery. I find purpose in being someone who helps students navigate this chapter of their lives. 

A:My favorite subject growing up was writing. I wrote short stories and poems. Poetry was my thing! I placed first two different times in the Iowa Poetry Contest sponsored by the Iowa Reading Association. In middle school, math became my favorite subject. It was the most challenging for me, but I grew to love the challenge.

Lydia Butters (Kaylynn Crawford)
Lisa Jordahl
Lisa Jodrahl

Q:Who are you, and what do you teach?

A:Ms. Jordahl, Social Studies

A:I enjoy working with students, supporting their growth, and constantly learning new things in my role. Everyday is different.

A:I’ve been at West since January 2023 : )

A:Their uniqueness, creativity, and conversations. 

Q: What was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you when you were in the grade you teach?

A:10-12th grades, My junior year I was walking out of school on a winter day to the parking lot. To get to the parking lot you have to cross a road where all the high school drivers are exiting. The cars are usually driving slow so you have to cross in between them. As I neared the cars I slipped on ice, “hit” the car, and wiped out on the ice. Everyone thought the car “hit” me and rushed over to help, which made the whole experience even more embarrassing.

Lisa Jordahl (Kaylynn Crawford)
Nate Gruber
Nate Gruber

Q:Who are you, and what do you teach?

A:Nate Gruber and I am in my first year teaching business, computer classes, and C3 Foundations here at West.

A:I originally graduated from high school wanting to become a band director so education has always been something I’ve been interested in. After finishing my Business Degree, I found myself looking for something that wasn’t solely concerned about the bottom line every quarter. I found my way back to teaching and back in school to earn my social science teaching degree because I really wanted to teach students U.S. History and Government.

A:I have been involved in education at various levels (from preschools & child care centers all the way to colleges and universities) for over 15 years, from working as a substitute teacher to being elected to serve on a public school board.

A:I enjoy high school students can understand sarcasm. While I am pretty reserved, especially at the beginning of a school year or semester, I can have the ability to get sarcastic and appreciate when students are able to pick up on it.  

A: It take me about an hour from when I wake to when I head out the door. For me, getting ready consists of getting myself dressed then getting my two kids out of bed, fed, and ready to get out the door as well.

Nate Gruber (Kaylynn Crawford)
Seth Hagarty
Seth Hagarty

Q:Who are you, and what do you teach?

A:My name is Seth Hagarty and I teach Algebra 1.

A:I honestly didn’t have intentions to become a teacher when I started college at UNI.  I actually was going to school to become an Accountant.  But I couldn’t fathom sitting behind a computer screen all day.  I also knew that I’ve always been really good at explaining math to other people, so I went into teaching and don’t regret it one bit!

A:This is my 18th year teaching and the 4th different school district that I have worked for.

A:I really enjoy watching high school students mature throughout high school and eventually pursue their passions after they graduate.

A:My favorite subject was actually my Financial Literacy class I took about how to handle all of life’s expenses, while living on a manageable budget!

Seth Hagarty (Kaylynn Crawford)
Francys Herrera
Francys Herrera

Q:Who are you, and what do you teach?

A:My name is Francys Herrera. I’m originally from Chile. I’ve been living in the US, Iowa, since 1998.

A:Since I was in second grade, I remember thinking how cool it would be teaching other people read and write. I think it’s fun to teach things I know to other people.

A:I started working for the Waterloo schools in 2006. I’ve been to another district but ended up coming back to the WCSD.

A:I like their personalities, comments, conversations, and interactions we have in class.

A:I should mention that I live in Cedar Falls. I wake up at 5:30. I have breakfast (coffee and toast). I make my bed, take a shower, dress up and go to work. Every day is the same routine.

Francys Herrera (Kaylynn Crawford)
View Comments (3)
Donate to Wahawk Insider

Your donation will support the student journalists of Waterloo West High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Kaylynn Crawford
Kaylynn Crawford, Opinion and Arts & Entertainment Editor
(she/her) Kaylynn Crawford is a junior at West High and this is her first year on Wahawk Insider. Outside of Wahawk Insider, you can always find Kaylynn on the West High stages performing Theater Arts and Music. When Kaylynn isn’t on the stage, reading, or writing, she loves to be around her friends playing games and relaxing.