The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Poll

What type of content would you like to see from the Wahawk Insider?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Ich liebe Deutschland!

John Balong, the resident German teacher at West, loves to share his passion of the culture with his students.
Mallory Mills
Mr. Balong standing in front of the German map in his room.

Beginning at West over 12 years ago, John Balong has created long lasting bonds with the German and economic students alike. Abiding in room 330, Balong currently teaches German two, three and four as well as economics.

Balong’s interest in the German language and culture began back in his high school days. “I had a great German teacher in high school, who was able to spark my interest in languages and in the German-speaking cultures.” Balong shares his passion was further encouraged by another German teacher in college. Because of this, he decided to pursue learning German more in depth. “I really enjoyed the ability to communicate with people in another language. German also fit well with my other subjects: economics and international relations,” Balong said.

Although he had a passion for the language, Balong was not planning on becoming a German teacher specifically. “I didn’t initially plan to become a German teacher, but when I started teaching German courses for adults at the German-American Society in Omaha, Nebraska, I found that I enjoyed teaching.” This experience opened a new door to him; the path of teaching language to others. “Since then, I have taught at a small college, at two universities, at a high school in Germany and at West High,” shared Balong.

Pinpoint graphic showing Bochum on a map of North Rhine-Westphalia. (Mallory Mills)

Balong immersed himself completely and lived in Germany for over a year in Bochum of North Rhine-Westphalia. During his time in Bochum, he taught at the Goethe-Gymnasium, which held fifth through 12/13th graders. However, his most memorable moment was with a class of sixth graders. “It was definitely facilitating a class project for a 6th grade English class, in which the students gathered data on the English words that were visible in advertisements in the pedestrian zone in the city of Bochum.”

Although German isn’t many people’s favorite subject, Herr Balong makes it memorable by rewarding everyone with bonbon’s when they get questions right.

— Zachary Hall

Following his year living in Germany, Balong taught at a few separate schools before landing himself in Cedar Falls, teaching at the University of Northern Iowa. Not soon after, Balong finally joined the West High family and has been a member since.

Beginning in his sophomore year, senior Zachary Hall has been Balong’s student for German two, three and four. During these years of being his student, Hall and many others alike have come to consider Balong to be one of their favorite teachers. “I’d say one of my most memorable moments with him was when he put only Everardo’s (fellow classmate) name on the name wheel and kept spinning it so only he could answer. It’s funny when he messes with students,” Hall shares. With his bubbly personality and dad humor, Balong has created unique experiences for his German students. By using trendy language with his students or rewarding them with prizes/games, Balong has kept his students entertained while also teaching them German.