The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Poll

What type of content would you like to see from the Wahawk Insider?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

An open letter for those who are struggling.

A letter of support for those struggling with their mental health.
Kaylynn Crawford
An open letter from Insider staff member, Kaylynn Crawford, informing people struggling with their mental health that they’re not alone.

Dear Reader,

I wanted to take a moment to reach out to you, not out of assumption you aren’t doing well, but with genuine and wholehearted concern and care. Life is full of mountains and valleys, especially during high school, but during tougher moments, the lows in life, it’s very important to know that you are not alone. I want you to understand that your well-being matters, and there is hope even in the hardest moments.

First, let me say that it’s okay to not be okay. Every human faces challenges, and sometimes those problems can take a toll on our mental health. With high school, the academic pressures and social dynamics can sometimes feel like an overwhelming maze you will never get out of, but you will. Whether you are currently feel like you are fighting a losing battle or enjoying a gorgeous sunrise, I want you to know that whatever you are feeling, there is support available to you.

Your mental health is crucial part of your overall wellness, and just like your physical health, it requires attention and care.

Here are four important things I think you should know. Things that personally, I wish I knew sooner.

1. You are NOT alone. It’s okay to reach out and ask for help. Whether you just need a shoulder to cry on or more, there are people who care about you and are willing to lend a supportive ear without any judgment. High school is a very challenging environment, but you don’t have to face it alone.
  2. Seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness. There will always be someone there for you to provide support and guidance. If you are comfortable, consider talking to a mental health professional, a school counselor or a teacher. Asking for help does not make you  broken. You are stronger than you could ever comprehend.
  3. Small steps matter. Progress is not about huge leaps and drastic jumps in your life. Taking small steps, no matter how seemingly insignificant, can contribute to a multitude of positive changes in your mental well being. The journey to healing is personal. Recovery looks different for every individual being. Your journey is unique, and it is okay of it doesn’t follow a straight path. Healing is not linear.
  4. Self care matters. Prioritize yourself. Be kind to yourself. Take time to do things that bring you joy. Do things that provide relaxation and comfort and you will see the positive impact on who you are. Self care can help you manage your stress, anxiety and anger levels. Treat yourself with the same kindness and compassion you would offer a friend facing the challenges you are experiencing.

Your feelings are valid. It is important to acknowledge and honor your emotions, regardless if they are positive or negative. Emotions build who you are as a person, a natural part of the human experience.

Getting better is a process, and it’s about finding strategies that work for you.

Create a support system. Surround yourself with people who uplift and understand you, not people that drag you down or discourage you. Genuine, heartfelt connection can make a big difference in how you heal.

Explore healthy coping mechanisms. Find activities and hobbies that bring you joy. It can be anything from painting all the way to extracurricular activities.

If you ever need someone to talk to, I am here for you. So are your friends, family, mental health professionals and hotlines that can provide assistance. Don’t be afraid to reach out, whether it’s for a heart-to-heart conversation or to explore available resources.

Taking care of your mental health is a journey, and it’s okay to ask for help. This adventure will be long, it will be difficult, but I know you can do it. Remember that your journey is ongoing, and you have the strength within you to fight, and overcome the challenges you are facing.

Celebrate your achievements, you can do this.

You are important, valued and deserving of support. I am wishing you strength, resilience, and moments of peace.

With caring thoughts and never-ending support,

Kaylynn Crawford, Wahawk Insider.

View Comments (5)
Donate to Wahawk Insider

Your donation will support the student journalists of Waterloo West High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Kaylynn Crawford
Kaylynn Crawford, Opinion and Arts & Entertainment Editor
(she/her) Kaylynn Crawford is a junior at West High and this is her first year on Wahawk Insider. Outside of Wahawk Insider, you can always find Kaylynn on the West High stages performing Theater Arts and Music. When Kaylynn isn’t on the stage, reading, or writing, she loves to be around her friends playing games and relaxing.