The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

REVIEW: Zach Bryan’s Self-Titled Album

Used under Fair Use
Used under Fair Use

If you like country music, you will like Zach Bryan’s new self-titled album. Two of his most powerful songs are “Fear and Fridays (Poem)” and “Eastside of Sorrow”.

The songs above are full of emotion and small anecdotes about Zach Bryan’s life. The song “Fear and Fridays (poem)” is not a song, but a poem . It contains lyrics such as “I’d say I’ve seen some beautiful days, I’ve walked countless coastlines, awoken on mountain tops, I have seen death and birth and kissed good lips I don’t need a music machine to tell me what a good story is.” These are particularly touching lyrics because it shows all of the phases of life and things you’d want to accomplish while on earth.

The song talks of the enjoyment of simple pleasures in life, reflects on personal growth, as well as the need to be present in the moment. In addition to this, is provides a metaphor between fear and Fridays. He’s trying to show and portray how you should live like everyday is your last, that you shouldn’t wait for better days to come, and that you should make today that better day instead.

The tone of his voice is one of the most important parts of his songs. He’s able to connect people from across the world in just a matter of seconds. In one of his most touching songs “East Side of Sorrow” he talks about the concept of grief and how he himself had to deal with it. This is such a touching song because of how he talks of the sun rising again, no matter who or what you have lost in the world life continues to go on. In addition to this, he talks of his hatred for the world at the ripe age of 18 the loss of his mother and the impact it had on his life.

Zach Bryan is known as one of the most reluctant stars. He is a Navy Veteran and Navy Brat with a close connection to his mother. After she died he said “I was like don’t put your guitar down, keep going somethings going to happen”, he said “not because I felt driven. Not because I wanted to be famous. Not because I wanted to be rich. I literally just would sit there and think about my mom and be like. something is telling me not to stop doing this.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to Wahawk Insider

Your donation will support the student journalists of Waterloo West High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Jacy Gomez
Jacy Gomez, Reporter
Jacy Gomez is a sophomore at West High this is her first year on staff. Outside of Wahawk Insider, she plays basketball and can commonly be found working at Doughy Joeys. Outside of work and basketball, you can find her hanging out with her family and friends.