The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Poll

What type of content would you like to see from the Wahawk Insider?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

A Swift Win for the Chiefs

Kansas City Chiefs Win in a Overtime Thriller

On Feb. 11, 2024, Super Bowl LVIII took place for the first time in Las Vegas, Nevada at Allegiant Stadium. The match-up between the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs was anticipated to be a close and fascinating game because of the talent and fame of both sides; Super Bowl 58 did not disappoint.

Super Bowl 58 was filled with trick plays, emotional outbursts and several memorable moments. The game lasted 74 minutes and 57 seconds, making it the longest Super Bowl in history and the seventh-longest game in NFL postseason history. Initially, the 49ers seemed to be pulling away from the Chiefs by quickly jumping to an early 10-point lead. The Chiefs finally got on the board with only 30 seconds remaining in the half with a 28-yard field goal. The score at half was 10-3.

The Cheifs went on a ten-point push in the third quarter, moving the score to 13-10. San Francisco responded with a touchdown to take the lead. Both teams traded field goals, ending the fourth quater tied 19-19. Following the tie in the fourth quater, the game moved into overtime. Although the 49ers opened with a field goal, their defense could not slow quarterback Patrick Mahomes and the rest of the Chiefs offense. They drove inside the 10-yard line before a pass to Mecole Hardman gave Kansas City the win, 25-22.

Although the closeness of Kanasa City to Iowa made the Chiefs seem favorable, Iowans should have remembered to give love to the Iowa and Iowa State athletes George Kittle and Brock Purdy. Kittle is number 85 and a tight end while Purdy is number 13 and a quarterback, both for the 49ers. They both were outstanding and deserve some love.

Although the next football season is months away, this Super Bowl will be talked about everyday throughout every following year.