The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Poll

What type of content would you like to see from the Wahawk Insider?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Here is everything you need to know to experience the 2024 solar eclipse.
NASA
The Moon covering the Sun in the 2017 solar eclipse.

On Monday, April 8, 2024, people from all over will have the opportunity to experience the total eclipse. It will cross over North America in countries like Mexico, Canada and the United States. It is set to happen at 12:43 p.m. central time.

A total solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth. This then blocks the Sun, allowing the Earth’s sky to appear as if it were night. In the route for this year, the path of the eclipse will pass over populated cities, with NASA predicting almost 31.6 million people living in the range. In the 200-mile path of the totality, another 150 million people reside.

For the upcoming solar eclipse, the total length is predicted to last up to four minutes and about 20 seconds at the center of the path, Texas. The total eclipse time will average around three minutes and 21 seconds, which is longer than the total solar eclipse that took place in 2017 with a recorded time of two minutes and 42 seconds in Carbondale, IL.

The 2024 total eclipse path that is set to happen on April 8, 2024.

If you are worried you will not be in full totality, in the center of the path, do not stress. The length of the totality shortens the further away from the path’s center you are. This means that being in the center of the path allows viewers to have the longest total time. The center path of the eclipse is set to pass through major cities like Mazatlan, Torreon, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Montreal.

The pinhole projector method being used during the solar eclipse.

Remember to wear protection when viewing. Staring at the Sun without protection can lead to serious eye injuries. If you are able to, it is recommended to purchase a pair of solar eclipse glasses. These are not regular sunglasses. If you are not able to purchase a pair you can use an indirect-looking method; this allows you to avoid looking directly at the Sun. An example of this can be done by using a pinhole projector. Aiming the hole of the projector towards the Sun, this method allows you to project an image of the eclipse on a screen, saving you from damaging your eyes.

While it is an exciting occurrence when a total solar eclipse takes place, remember to act safely and smartly when experiencing this phenomenon.