The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Poll

What type of content would you like to see from the Wahawk Insider?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

West High Science Classes learn about Seat Belt Safety

Patrol Officer Dave Goreham brings a seat belt convincer to show West High science classes the importance of seat belt safety.

Friday, September 29, State Patrol Officer Dave Goreham came to West with a seat belt convincer to teach kids the importance of wearing your seat belt. Officer Goreham informed on why this is important to demonstrate. “I’m just trying to encourage them to wear their seatbelts. That safety belt is the safest choice you can make either as a passenger or a driver, front seat, back seat. It’s the thing that’s going to save your life if you’re in a crash. Almost half the people that don’t wear safety belts in a crash, they end up dying. right now Last year, we had 338 fatalities in our state, way too many fatalities for a state our size, over 40% of those fatalities were not buckled up. So that’s why we are trying to get people to wear their seatbelts, save their lives,” he shared.

Most science classes were able to witness and ride the convincer. “It is always great when we can connect our curriculum to a real-world experience. The seat-belt convincer allows us to make connections between the physics concepts we learn in class and vehicle safety which is an important topic for high school aged students. It also provides a tangible learning experience that students can carry with them as they drive away from school that day,” says Mr.Smith a Science Teacher here at West.