The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Poll

What type of content would you like to see from the Wahawk Insider?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Girls Wrestling Season Opener

Sophomore+Kennedee+Dunning+pins+her+opponent+as+her+dad%2C+Coach+Danny+Dunning%2C+encourages+her+from+the+sidelines.+
Ali Parkhurst
Sophomore Kennedee Dunning pins her opponent as her dad, Coach Danny Dunning, encourages her from the sidelines.

On Saturday Nov. 18, the Wahawk Women’s Wrestling team traveled to Independence for their first tournament of the 2023-24 season. 

Returning wrestlers at the tournament included seniors Lydia Parkhurst, Lily Maricle, Ella Anderson, juniors Jadyn Wirth, Kammie Gleiter, Kennedee Dunning, and sophomores Phinn Burt and Elizabeth Roberts. Alongside the eight returning wrestlers, junior Reagan Westphal and freshman Shelda Rose experienced their first wrestling event as well.

Wrestling a 3-1 day, Parkhurst refers to the tournament as “the best start to the season I’ve had in all 4 years.” Losing only her first match, Parkhurst placed 9th in the 190 pound weight class. 

“I think that as a team everyone did a very good job. There was some very tough competition and for some of the girls it was their very first meet, and everyone showed what they worked on during the off-season,” Parkhurst says. She shares that Miracle’s performance stood out to her this weekend after she won her first match, “She started last year as a team manager and about halfway through the season started wrestling. I am so proud of all the hard work she has put in.” 

Wirth comments on her 2-3 record by sharing that she feels she put in her best effort during the tournament. “I made a few small mistakes that cost me some points and did not result in a win but this week I’m focusing on those and hopefully this Saturday I can show some improvement. For this being the first tournament I’m just glad I won a couple,” she says. Out of 22 girls in the 130 weight class, Wirth placed 9th at the tournament. 

Head Coach Josef Kadlec shares how the hard work his athletes have put in this season paid off for Saturday, “This tournament in particular helped to set a barometer for where our girls stand against some really strong wrestlers around the area. Nearly every weight class included multiple returning state qualifiers or placewinners, and we were giving some of them fits throughout the tournament. It speaks volumes for how many off-season hours some of these girls put in between last season and this one.”

Kadlec shares that the tournament was tough, “and included lots of high caliber opponents at each weight and our girls fought hard each match of the day.” He says that after the first tournament the girls have things to clean up, but is confident that the girls will to continue to grow this season and do well.