The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

McNally’s Magnificent Take on Teaching

Jackson McNally, a two year history teacher here at West, shares his take on education.
Jackson+McNally+stands+on+a+desk+during+a+US+History+lesson.+
Lucy Prescott
Jackson McNally stands on a desk during a US History lesson.

Room 110 is where the future is made. Jackson McNally, a freshman US History teacher, goes above and beyond in creating an environment for students to get an outstanding education while still finding enjoyment. 

While McNally still might be considered a new face to some at West High, he has created a bond with not only his staff members but students as well. This is McNally’s second year teaching at West High. However, he has been in the building longer than that. McNally is a 2015 West High graduate and started his teaching career as a long-term substitute before transitioning to a full-time teacher here.

Graduating college at the University of Iowa, McNally had his mind set on never becoming a teacher. He had been working at a restaurant and decided he wanted a change. After deciding on a change, he planned to travel to Spain.  There, he studied abroad for a portion of his time, in hopes of teaching English. However, his plans changed when Covid-19 hit. Not wanting to go back to the restaurant, McNally picked up a substitute teaching shift for 7th-grade math in Iowa City, which led him to where he is now. 

Before getting his own class, McNally has had a variety of experiences which has given him background on how to run an engaging classroom. From teaching students algebra to theater and speech to ending up in social studies, each and every class taught has made him stronger.

While McNally has taught a wide range of different students, his day now consists of teaching freshmen all day. He admits keeping those students engaged in a lesson is a challenge. “I just really try to bring my energy every day and hopefully that will bring their energy levels up and their engagement up,” he shares. A well-known way he acquires this is his method of standing on desks. It is not uncommon for Mr. McNally to take to a desk to stand and teach part of a lecture before rushing off to a different part of the classroom. “Sometimes I get a little excited and crack my knee against the desk because I am trying to move too fast,” he jokes.

While the students might adore their teacher for his fun activities, he can’t take all the credit. He shared that he has a strong team of social studies teachers behind him. He shares “we do a lot of collaboration,” before giving a shout out to his coworkers, Mr. Grieder, Mr. Venghaus, Mr. Roe and Mrs. Hollingsworth. However, not everything needs to be planned, admitting that some activities he comes up with are in the moment, wanting to try something a little different than normal. Part of what makes McNally stand out from others is his dedication to his students. While on school breaks, he will often think of ways to improve his class structure. He thinks to himself, “I taught this this way last year, how can I spice this up?”

While school might not be a place for everyone, McNally tries his hardest to get all students wanting to learn. His first way to go about this is by showing that he cares about the students, showing them that the teacher isn’t “the enemy.” One plan of attack McNally has used is relating the content to the student. Whether that is connected to a moment in history, with sports or just noticing the student’s interests. Overall, his advice is to recognize his students. “Making sure you recognize them and say hey I see you today man. I understand that you are sleeping but tomorrow I need you to come into class focused and ready to go.” This is what makes him such an outstanding teacher to many.

While he teaches all freshmen who are new to how high school works and balancing the new responsibilities and freedoms, he tries his hardest to make the students well-rounded. McNally tries his hardest to set them up for success not only throughout their high school career but as they leave the building and go off in their lives. “I try my best to be an approachable teacher, a fun teacher, but also hold them accountable,” he says.

When thinking about what would be his best advice to his students, McNally thought deeply before responding. “High School matters, but it matters less than you might think.” He further explains that the world will not end if you don’t have 100% for everything or don’t accomplish every single thing you set out to do. “You’re going to be just fine. It might seem like the world is crashing down around you but I promise you that you’re going to be okay,” McNally shares. However, high school is still important. “High school does matter in the fact that a D minus or an F is going to affect you down the line,” he says. His line of advice is to start strong habits that will set you up for success four years down the road.

For these past four years at West, McNally has been an exceptionally well addition to the West High staff. He has paved the way for many students, creating a bond and supporting his class in way others might not. His outside of the box ideas are what make education so exciting and keeps students coming back. West High thanks Mr. McNally for all he has done for not only teacher appreciation week but year-round!