The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Student Senate Participates in Local Food Drive Competition

West High’s Student Senate is Participating in Cedar Valley’s Food Bank Fundraiser.
Nicole Goodman
Members of senate attended the 2023 food bank fundraiser kickoff.

The West High student senate has been participating in a fundraiser that helps raise money and provide meals to people in need for many years now. It is also a competition to get the student body involved in a good cause. Only for the month of October, the senate will put on a number of fundraisers in the hope of raising the most money to provide the most meals.

For around a decade now, the Northeast Iowa Food Bank has put on a fundraiser competition between Cedar Valley high schools. They encourage students to get creative with fundraising ideas and volunteering in order to earn the most meals for the drive. In past years the West has started new traditions in order to raise more money. 

Back in 2021, the Student Senate came up with the idea of a Trunk or Treat event. With this event, student clubs, sports and extracurricular organizations decorate a trunk of their car and wear costumes to then give candy to participants. The most spirited group can earn a trophy. This event is broadcasted to younger students, but people of all ages are invited to join or participate. This year the third annual Trunk or Treat event will be taking place on October 28 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. This event is a free-will donation to participate.

During conferences, parents and students were able to purchase baked goods made by the Student Senate and GSA. This event was free will donations and all proceeds raised will go towards the food bank.

Another fundraiser that started just last year was the creation of “Boo” suckers. These are suckers dressed up as a ghost using a kleenex, string and a sharpie face. Each “Boo” sucker is hand-made by the Student Senate. Students will be able to purchase two suckers for only .25 cents. Throughout the school day, keep an eye out for senate members selling them the week of October 15th to purchase your own.

Senate is also starting a new tradition: pie an administrator. During lunch periods, students will have the opportunity to purchase a ticket for $1. They have the opportunity to place the tickets in boxes that represent different administrators. The options are Mrs. Hildman, Mr. Timmins, Mr. Ortman and Mr.Miehe. The admin with the most tickets in their box by the end of the fundraiser will be receiving a pie in the face. 

If you want to get involved in any way, you can donate money to Student Food Drive 2023, join the Student Senate at any of their events, or volunteer time at the Food Bank. In order to earn meals for West High through volunteering, mention that you are volunteering on behalf of West High. One hour of volunteering will earn West 100 meals. If you are interested in a money donation,  .25 cents is equivalent to 1 meal!

Help spread the word about West High’s food drive fundraiser and keep an eye out for all the events happening only for the month of October to help make a difference.