The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Poll

What type of content would you like to see from the Wahawk Insider?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

REVIEW: Five Nights at Freddy’s Movie

On October 27, the highly anticipated Five Nights at Freddy’s movie was released in theaters.
Five Nights at Freddy’s movie poster from IMDb used under Fair Use.

On October 27, the highly anticipated Five Nights at Freddy’s movie was showcased in theaters, and luckily I was able to see it the first day.

“Five Nights at Freddy’s” is an internationally famous video game series that was originally released on August 8, 2014. To this day over nine years later, the series has held up in it’s popularity, and has become a staple in modern media.

Although it is readily available on Peacock for streaming, thousands of people across the country went to their local theaters to watch it. At the Crossroads Marcus Theaters, they were holding the first showing. Almost every single seat in their largest theater was sold out and people filled the lobby excitedly to see their favorite animatronics.

The movie featured well known names, such as Matthew Lillard, Josh Hutcherson and even Youtubers MatPat (Matthew Patrick) and CoryxKenshin (Cory Williams). Having famous Youtubers immediately made this movie a fan favorite, and scored an 88% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. But in critics eyes, the movie was nothing but mediocre, receiving an average of 25% according to multiple film critics.

Although the critics don’t seem to care for it, this movie has obviously meant a lot to many people. Fans of “Five Nights at Freddy’s” are feeling seen, and are overjoyed to see the thorough lore of their favorite indie game put on the big screen.

I enjoyed the movie, but considering the amount of hype put behind it, it definitely did not meet my expectations. Many were expecting the movie to be scarier and less backstory based, so some were let down. I would give the movie a 6.5/10. It did include lore from almost all of the games, which was a very nice detail, but it wasn’t as violent as many expected and much more goofy. It almost felt like a Goosebumps movie. But if you are a fan of the Five Nights at Freddy’s series, I recommend watching it and deciding for yourself.