The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Poll

What type of content would you like to see from the Wahawk Insider?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Jason Kelce: The Career of a Lifetime

Mark J. Rebilas / USA Today Sports

Some may know Jason Kelce as the starting center for the Philadelphia Eagles, while others may know him as Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce’s brother. No matter how you know his name, everyone can agree that Jason Kelce is an amazing football player and person. Not only has he met many milestones in the NFL world but also in his personal life. Jason Kelce is the founder of the (Be)Philly, a non-profit organization fighting for a brighter future for the next generation of Philadelphians. In addition to this, he and his wife are supporters of the Eagles autism foundation.

Both Travis and Jason Kelce attended the University of Cincinnati, Jason Kelce was a big part of his brother’s college career. When Travis made some bad decisions including drugs and partying, Jason was able to make sure he changed for the better and still had a spot on the team. 

Jason was drafted by the Eagles in 2011 in the sixth round of the NFL draft by head coach Andy Reid who also drafted Travis. He has had a very successful career ranging from being a Super Bowl champion, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and a six-time first-team all-pro selection. In addition to his athletic achievements, he also has a podcast called “New Heights.” The name is a tribute to Jason and Travis Kelce’s hometown Cleveland Heights Ohio. He hosts the podcast with his brother, both having successful NFL careers makes it a very interesting podcast with different views of the current sports world.

Recently there has been speculation that he is retiring after the Eagle’s playoff loss against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. However, Kelce has since addressed these claims and said that he “isn’t ruling out returning for another season.” He has received a great amount of support from Eagles fans and football fans all over the country.

Jason Kelce has shown, and said that he wants to continue his career in football whether it has to do with playing or not. He said, “I’ll always wanna be involved in the game. It’s a hard thing to step away from, completely, I’m imagining”. However, he has a lot to think about; he has three young daughters, one of whom he has shared his love of football with. His wife Kylie recorded Kelce teaching his oldest daughter, Wyatt how to snap the football. Jason Kelce’s former coach Andy Reid even said “I drafted Jason and I drafted Travis, and if there’s any other Kelces out there, I’ll draft them too”. 

Jason Kelce has shown that he isn’t quite done with football. Growing up, the Kelce brothers played a variety of different sports ranging from hockey to soccer. Since the brothers are only two years apart, they are very competitive; they played each other in Super Bowl LVII where the Chiefs won 38-35. The Super Bowl was known as “the Kelce Bowl.” 

Some people see Jason Kelce as the greatest center in NFL history and rightfully so. He has impacted football not only by the way he plays but also by the way he has impacted his community and the people around him.