The Student News Site of Waterloo West High School

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Wahawk Insider

Poll

What type of content would you like to see from the Wahawk Insider?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Shooting at Chiefs Parade in Kansas City Missouri

United Way of Greater Kansas City
United Way of Greater Kansas City.

On Wednesday, Feb. 14th, at least 21 people were shot after the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade near Union Station. Two juveniles are being held at a detention center and are being charged with gun-related and resisting-arrest charges. As of right now, one person is dead, two people are in critical condition and three people are currently in custody. At least 11 of those victims are between ages 6 and 15. The person that died had been identified as Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a local radio DJ who was attending the parade with her son.

One family has said that the shooter was “spinning and shooting in a circle.” The Chief’s social media team put out a statement saying “we are truly saddened by the senseless act of violence that occurred outside of Union Station at the conclusion of today’s parade and rally…Our hearts go out to the victims, their families, and all of Kansas City…”

The players and coaches were seen comforting people, specifically children, at the parade. It was said that one teen fell when he tried to jump over the barricade on his way into Union Station, Andy Reid saw him and immediately began to comfort him. The teen told his local newspaper that “Andy Reid was trying to comfort me which was nice…he was kind and just hugging me”. 

As a result of this shooting, the Kansas City Chiefs have partnered with United Way of Greater Kansas City to launch #KCStrong as a fund to support victims and their families, violence prevention, mental health services and first responders. In addition to this, the Chiefs, Hunt Family Foundation and the NFL are donating $200,000 to ensure that they are supporting the victims and first responders in the aftermath of the events that took place.

What happened at the Kansas City Chiefs Superbowl parade on Feb. 14th was a tragedy. This marks 50 mass shootings in 2024 so far.